Saturday, December 02, 2006

"Castan Centre for Human Rights Law: Human Rights 2006: The Year in Review" conference

Only went to the afternoon sessions: Joo-Cheong Tham on counter-terrorism laws and civil liberties, Carolyn Evans on RRTA-related issues, Julie Debeljak on the judicial interpretation and declaration provisions of the Victorian Charter of Rights, and Paula Gerber on human rights education in secondary schools. All quite interesting though not particularly arresting and I got a bit out of each of the papers; I especially liked Carolyn Evans (who I've met in passing before), even though her topic was, on its face, probably the least immediately interesting to me.

(MS-sponsored; took place at the Malthouse. Not a bad way to spend the afternoon of the last day of my M&A rotation, by the way.)