Saturday, October 07, 2006

"Remedying Human Rights Violations" (Ivan Shearer and others)

I'm always a bit in two minds about whether to note public lectures, especially when they're not directly related to art, culture, or however you'd characterise the usual subject of these entries - but if they reflect where I'm currently at, well I guess why not? Work continues to eat into my spare time, and it's becoming more and more necessary to seek stimulation wherever I can find it...

So this was a public seminar held at the Clutz offices last Wednesday (I'd anticipated that it'd be an early end to the day for me, but instead ended up having to go back to MS after the seminar, ugh). Main attraction was Ivan Shearer, who was promised to be speaking of his experiences as a member of the UN Human Rights Committee; responding to his presentation were Di Otto and Peter H of MS. I'd expected Shearer's speech/presentation to be a lot more analytical (and perhaps anecdotal) than it in fact was - though there were flashes of opinion coming through (eg, in certain comments about the quality of the members of the various human rights treaty committees, particularly the HRC) - but both of the respondents raised a few interesting points, and the questions were generally quite good, as were the responses they provoked from the speakers.