Saturday, October 21, 2006

100 favourite songs: #12: "Everybody Here Wants You" - Jeff Buckley

It took years for “Everybody Here Wants You” to really hit me — the song made a bit of an impression when it was all over triple j, but it wasn’t until much later that it properly took hold of me, and even then only incrementally, by a gradual series of successive deepenings of feeling.

In a way, though, I suppose it must have never really gone away. The first time I can recall the song taking on an aspect of something special was while I was away with Kim and DWR, a few years ago (2001?); I’d borrowed Kim’s copy and was lying on my bed at night listening to it (I think it had snowed that night) on my discman, maybe scrawling in my journal, too, and I can’t put it better or more precisely than to say that a feeling stole over me, and, while of course everything stayed the same, something changed.

Soulful, thundering, swooning, intense, this is the one. “Everybody Here Wants You” shivers and burns, and when I listen to it, I feel elevated.