Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Mountains in the Sky - Accipio

A few weekends ago, browsing in Dixon's in Fitzroy, I heard something excellent and unfamiliar on the in-store system, and asked about it when I took my purchase(s) to the counter. It went something like this:

Me: So I was wondering what that track that you were playing just before was.
Scruffy Record Store Type: [affably] Oh, it was Architecture in Helsinki.
Me: ["Oh really? But I would've known if it was AiH" look]
SRST: It's a remix actually, by Mountains in the Sky.
Me: ["Oh really? But I've never heard of Mountains in the Sky" look]
SRST: Which is me...

So I'd really been liking the track itself and was all ready to buy whatever it was, but it turned out to be a work in progress; anyway, after I'd praised it, SRST (whose name I assume was John Lee, based on the Accipio cd) mentioned a single/ep thing that he had out at the moment, showed me a button with the cover design on it, and suggested I check it out at Polyester (he was keen to suggest that I listen to it before buying)...and, in part because I was a little charmed by the way that SRST had initially been prepared to pass the episode off without taking credit for the track (not reckoning on my Extremely Expressive Expressions) but mostly because I'd been impressed by the track itself, I went across the road and picked up a copy of the cd.

As to the music on Accipio - five tracks, but intended to be taken as a whole (akin to movements) - well, it's not half bad. The most obvious reference point for me is the Avalanches - it's broadly the same kind of sample-based type collage soundscape thing and works with similar kinds of beats and rhythms (the overall aesthetic is pretty similar, I reckon) - though it swerves near Pink Floyd territory at a couple of points (it's the synths, obviously) and also invokes Endtroducing-era DJ Shadow in places (especially on the fourth track, "Rupture"). Not really my thing, to be frank, but I don't mind it, either.