Wednesday, October 11, 2006

100 favourite songs: #21: "Spark" - Tori Amos

“Spark” was the song that first convinced me that she [Tori] really is something special, and I don’t think I’ll ever be over the lush, swooning sturm und drang of this one…those backing vocals in the second verse are, for all their understatedness, sheer magic, and the chorus is rousing and tragic all at once. Even after all these years I still get a chill down the spine when listening to this song, and feel as if I’m drowning just a little. - 1/04

This is a big call, but I reckon that of all the songs on this list, “Spark” is probably the one to which I’ve listened the most number of times, ever — it swept me up at around the time that from the choirgirl hotel came out and has been flat out my Favourite Song Ever at various times since that initial rush, and I’ve never really stopped feeling it. “Spark” is a ballad, I guess, but it’s a lusciously stormy, deep-water ballad, layer upon layer, twist upon turn, at once undeniably epic and heart-wrenchingly intimate, and it still makes me shiver.

          6.58 are you sure where my spark is
                                                                           here .
                                                                           here . here