Saturday, March 19, 2005

Garth Ennis/Steve Dillon - Preacher: Gone To Texas

I'm not sure, but I think there's half a chance that, had I taken a few different turnings in and immediately after my teen angst period, I might have ended up in a place where I could really get into the Preacher comics (perhaps a neat symbol of the alternative path I've taken is my fondness for Edward Gorey's work). It's unremittingly grim, violent stuff, laced with dark supernatural happenings and leavened only by flashes of mordant humour - but it does what it does very well, and even though I'm not wired to respond to the blood, gore, dirt and grime of the story-art, I do like the mythologising aspects and the use of western-gothic-biblical motifs, and it's sure compelling. This book collects the first seven comics and, given half a chance, I may read further into the series.