Friday, March 11, 2005

Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason

As expected, I did watch it. Didn't have high expectations, which is just as well, for they'd surely have been disappointed. It's a sweet film, and I could have forgiven the godawful sugar-coating of the Thai prison (it is, after all, meant to be a fairytale of sorts), and I didn't mind the liberties taken with the book since - let's face it - the book itself wasn't exactly high art and I don't have any particular attachment to it, and I obviously have no objection to 'chick flicks' provided that they're not head-poundingly dull (which goes for all films, really). But I found it hard to get over the unending inanity produced by the episodic nature of proceedings, and I didn't find this one anywhere near as satisfying as the first, mainly for that reason; it's too disjointed, too glib, and too obvious.