Monday, February 14, 2005

New Buffalo @ St Kilda Festival, Sunday 13 February

The vagaries of Festival day public transport meant that I arrived halfway through this (in any case all too brief) set, but I saw enough for my belief that New Buffalo is something special to be affirmed. Considering how gentle, wistful, wispy, dreamy, romantic &c The Last Beautiful Day is, I wouldn't have expected that New Buffalo's music would translate especially well to a sunny, exposed outdoor festival setting, but Seltmann proved to have an unexpectedly gutsy live singing voice and the arrangements were tweaked to give them a bit more of a dynamic, rock feel (on stage at various times, and in various configurations, were keys, drums and electric guitar) - very, very nice...and she finished off with the two best songs on The Last Beautiful Day - "I've Got You And You've Got Me" and "Recovery" - and it was all lovelygorgeous and happy and all that good stuff.