Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Little Birdy - bigbiglove

When I first heard "Andy Warhol", I really liked it, and raced out to buy the band's debut EP as soon as it hit the stores. The EP as a whole was really good, too, being made up of four quality songs (although "Andy Warhol" had been re-recorded and horribly renamed as "I Should Of Known"). Somewhere along the line, though, I sort of lost interest in Little Birdy, and so didn't make any attempt to track down this LP when it was released, one or two further EPs/singles later.

A few months later, a copy of the album has fallen into my hands and I've remembered why I initially liked Little Birdy so much, although the level of my enthusiasm is a bit lower this time around. Quite simply, these guys write really good pop-rock songs - the hooks are memorable and plentiful, and there are enough twists to keep me interested. It's all quite dramatic (not least the striking vocals of Katy Steele), and never less than lively, and this creates a good dynamic when coupled with the sometimes surprising stately arrangements. Somewhat against my expectations, bigbiglove is a really good album.