Thursday, August 10, 2017

The World's Greatest Ballads

Number of discs: 3

Number of times I felt I needed to listen all the way through to tell whether I'd like the individual songs: 1 (given the genre)

Number of songs that I now know the name and artist of, having been vaguely familiar with them before: 2 ("Bleeding Love" by Leona Lewis and "Wherever You Will Go" by The Calling, both pretty good melodies)

Number of songs I didn't know before but have enjoyed listening to: 5 ("If I Were A Boy" by Beyonce, "Empire State of Mind Pt II" by Alicia Keys, "Red" by Daniel Merriweather, "Everytime" by Britney Spears, "Because" by Jessica Mauboy)

Number of songs that I already knew and unabashedly liked: 8 ("Because of You" by Kelly Clarkson, "Complicated" by Avril Lavigne, "Un-Break My Heart" by Toni Braxton, "Here With Me" by Dido, "Time After Time" by Cyndi Lauper, "I Will Always Love You" by Dolly Parton, "Buses and Trains" by Bachelor Girl, "Perfect Day" by Lou Reed (although that last seems very out of place))

Number of songs that I already knew and somewhat abashedly liked: 1 ("Drops of Jupiter")

Number of songs for which liking seems almost beside the point, but if it was the point, I would definitely like them (and which are all back to back on this compilation): 3 (the Eric Carmen version of "All By Myself", the Harry Nilsson version of "Without You" and the Jennifer Rush version of "The Power of Love")