Sunday, March 02, 2008

Napoleon Dynamite

I've been deliberately steering clear of Napoleon Dynamite - I'm not much of a one for what I (unkindly) dub quirky indie loser films and this seemed likely to be the epitome of the type. But everyone kept telling me how good it is, and eventually I caved in, and what do you know, it lives up to the hype in its low-key, off-kilter way. It's a film that genuinely goes its own way - it doesn't seem to be ticking boxes or anything of that kind. Instead, it just does its thing, and a good thing that is. I value films like these, because they remind me - oh yeah, I am an outsider...and possibly that part of me isn't nourished near enough these days, I suspect. (It also, not entirely unrelatedly, left me in a terrible mood the night I watched it but that's the flip side I suppose.)