Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Yann Tiersen @ the Corner Hotel, Monday 27 November

I hadn't (knowingly) heard any of Tiersen's stuff - only the soundtrack to Amelie, and that only in the course of the film itself - so I didn't know what to expect when I rolled up to the Corner last night [Mon night]. I had vague ideas of Dominique Ané type chansons, and there was a bit of that, but in general it was much more on the rock side than I'd imagined, with much of it being jagged, thuddy post-punk edged guitar-bass-drums stuff but taking as much from 60s garage as from 80s alternative (and when the guitars got to chiming it was positively Interpol) and all very French in sensibility, especially the melodies. Some of the highlights provided by Tiersen's intense violinin' when he wasn't hunched angularly into his guitar, and a cello was onstage for nearly the whole time. Great show.

(w/ trang)