Saturday, November 11, 2006

Truman Capote - Breakfast At Tiffany's

So I was thinking about why I like reading Capote, and I reckon that a large part of it is this: he writes great sentences, one after another. I've read Breakfast At Tiffany's before, years ago, and it didn't make much of an impression then, but in the time since I'd sort of retrospectively reassessed it and decided that I'd probably like Tiffany's rather a lot if I were to reread it.

And, as a matter of fact, I did like it rather a lot on this reread - the pathos and the delicacy held me, and it's a work which says what it means without descending into the merely obvious. Funny, though - I wasn't really colouring in the character of Holly Golightly in my mind in the way that I'd expected to, which made me wonder if perhaps I no longer romanticise that certain sort of girl (or, at least, not as much as I once did). But she rang true, she really did - the description (and depiction) of her as a 'real phony' made absolute sense, for I reckon I've known a few girls like that (and liked each one of them a great deal), and there's probably a bit of that in my own character, too, though obviously it works itself through in a different way from how it does with the dazzling Holly G.