Monday, August 14, 2006

Thom Yorke - The Eraser

The thing about the record, really, is that it just sounds exactly like a Thom Yorke album. As far as the Radiohead back catalogue goes, its closest cognate is probably Amnesiac, but really it's most recognisably that indie-rock/electronic thing that you can't help but identify with latter-day Radiohead (and, by extension, Yorke). It has its moments - the weary coda to "Analyse" is an early 'moment' - and the sound is still both new and familiar, but it's just not really where I'm at right now, and probably --

* * *

Scratch all of the above. What I really want to say goes something like this: responses to music are subjective, after all. The Eraser is a good album but I don't love it. I'm not sure if I could ever have loved it. But I don't really know what I meant by that 'ever'. It's probably not a meaningful statement - not a meaningful hypothetical, I mean.

* * *

Also, in general, I'm lacking some essential lightness right now. As they sometimes do, the words are coming out all weird.