Wednesday, August 02, 2006

100 favourite songs: #97: "Lovefool" - The Cardigans

What can I say? … one that somehow never went away, and one that I’ve never been ashamed of loving despite its uber-pop stylings. One of those songs that I will always turn up when I hear it on the radio, it’s absolutely perfect for what it is … - 1/04

…somehow never went away, and, in a way, feels as if it’s always been there. The Romeo + Juliet soundtrack was, as it seems to have been for so many other people, a key landmark along my road to falling in love with pop music, and “Lovefool” played its part and then some.

Things I especially love about this song:
* the opening bars and the way those rhythmic bleeps underpin the whole thing from start to finish
* the first line and its delivery, at once coyly languid and totally deadpan: “Dear I fear we’re facing a problem…”
* the chorus, of course
* the backing vocals
* the whimsical-resigned trail-off of its closer: “I can’t care 'bout anything but you…”

I’ve said it many times before, but Scandinavian pop really does make the world a better place, damnit. In that regard, this is where it all started for me, and it’s still a straight-up joy after all this time…shimmer, stomp, sparkle, and a shiver to Nina Persson’s voice — I don’t know how it could be any better.