Saturday, May 20, 2006

Spoon - Girls Can Tell

Only a few songs into this one, I found myself thinking very similar thoughts to those which struck me when I was first hearing the band's latest, Gimme Fiction - basically, thoughts about how great Spoon are. I don't know what it is - again, there's just something about them which makes their music a simple joy. I've just realised that one of the funnest incidents of the stripped-back approach they take is spotting the flashes and echoes of their (often quite dissimilar) antecedents in the rock family tree - and so it is that at one moment, with the guitar riff that steps in "The Fitted Shirt", they recall Led Zeppelin's "Kashmir", and then, two songs later, the guitar parts are coming across all Smiths on the jangle and circle of "Take A Walk", and so on. Mebbe these guys are just making the quintessential bedsit rock n roll for the kids of today - whatever it is, Girls Can Tell is utterly ace.