Saturday, January 28, 2006

"And when you believe they call it rock and roll": Spoon - Gimme Fiction

If I were to condense my response to this album to one word, it would probably be 'yessss'; pressed to expand, I might say something which possibly sounded sarcastic but was actually sincere, like 'Spoon are such a good band!'...such is the nature of Spoon, and of Gimme Fiction. I mean, really, how much more is there to say? Spoon are a cool rock band, and Gimme Fiction is a cool rock album; it's interesting and engaging, and also makes me feel good. "I Turn My Camera On", in which the band really gets its strut on, is my favourite; also especially liking "Sister Jack" (Gimme Fiction's "Jonathon Fisk"), "The Beast And Dragon, Adored", and "The Two Sides Of Monsieur Valentin". Probably marginally prefer Kill The Moonlight, which is a bit more skeletal and edgy and probably more tuneful (in that Spoon kinda way) into the bargain, but then again, that old theory about us nearly always most liking the first album we hear by a band still largely seems to hold true...