Saturday, May 13, 2006

The Fire Show - The Fire Show

Edgy, jagged, ambitious and frequently grandiose indie-rock - puts me a wee bit in mind of the Arcade Fire, though both more punk and more prog (please note, dear reader, that neither of these are generally good things in my books), and with more of a penchant for electronic samples and scratchy riffage than baroque chamber arrangements, and without the unerring dirge momentum either within individual songs or across the record as a whole. Actually predates Funeral by several years, though - I heard and got into "The Antipathetic" back in the audiogalaxy days (I always refer to that time, and I still have many of the mp3s on my old laptop as obvious references, but my sense of how they actually fit in with the rest of my personal chronology, even to the extent of knowing what years they spanned, is extremely shaky) and its restless, fiery urgency has left me wanting to hear more ever since. Provisional verdict, having had it for some weeks but during a period in which I've been still very much swinging away from the guitar rock, is that it's pretty good if maybe a bit bratty for my taste.