Saturday, May 06, 2006

Neil Finn - Try Whistling This

One of those albums from my late high school years whose singles summon a raft of associations and memories. One is of all those mornings and after-schools riding on the school bus with Daniel L, talking about music and sometimes other things, too (I wonder what became of him - last I heard, he was trying to make it as a journalist) - I have a distinct memory of his saying, in relation to this album (which would've been shortly after its release), that it made it clear that 'those other guys' had just been holding Neil Finn back during his Crowded House years. Another is quite simply to do with the song "Sinner" itself and how its gentle, melodic, quietly mysterious fluidity made me feel during those stormy days. Listening to it now, and particularly the run of singles in the first half of the middle of the record - "Try Whistling This", "She Will Have Her Way", "Sinner" - is a pleasant, contentment-inducing experience, Finn's quietly timeless rock-pop still retaining the particular colour and grace which has always distinguished it in my mind.