Friday, January 27, 2006

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

Ha! I was so sure that this film would be good; no one believed me, but I was right.

Why was I so confident? Well, the synopsis, to start with: New York City attacked by giant robots, can only be saved by fighter ace Jude Law and tenacious girl reporter Gwyneth Paltrow (plus Angelina Jolie, in eyepatch). Throw in retro-futuristic costumes and sets, and what must surely be a tongue-in-cheek approach (witness the title and the poses on the promo poster), and how could it go wrong?

So, as I was saying, Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow was pretty much exactly as one would imagine based on that description: a boy's own pulp adventure with explosions and derring-do a-plenty plus an endearing sense of innocence and fun; doesn't take itself too seriously but looks spectacular...the comic booky/old fashioned 1930s cinematic set design is brill, and the soft focus and haloing effects that often happen around Paltrow are a nice touch, as is the regimental militarism of the many squadrons (plus, let's not forget all those different types of giant robots). Also, all of the characters - including Giovanni Ribisi, as the Captain's sidekick, who I notice and like every time I see him in something - are perfectly cast, able to walk the delicate line which the film demands of them (balancing hommage, gentle self-mockery, and something approaching a straight face in playing their exaggeratedly archetypal roles).

So yes, I think that a lot of people didn't really get it, but this is a good one.