Thursday, September 15, 2005

Terry Pratchett - Going Postal

Well, I'm not really supposed to be reading anything which doesn't relate to uni at least until my thesis is done, and probably until the final coursework paper is handed in, but: (1) in a sense, I started reading Going Postal before my self-imposed ban came into effect, as I've been gradually working my way through it in bookstores at very scattered intervals over the last few months; (2) I'd placed a hold on it with Rowden White, also before that ban was instituted; and (3) (and most importantly) it's a Pratchett which I haven't read before.

So, I was determined to savour the book but, despite that resolution, it was all over in a day (a couple of days later, I re-read it). First things first - it's good, and there continues to be no appreciable slipping in the quality of the series. A few specific thoughts:
- Very much has the characteristic Pratchett lightness, but doesn't seem to be as laugh-out-loud funny as most.
- Possibly relatedly, the 'thematising' seems a bit more obvious than in most of his previous books - freedom and reinvention of self (separately and in conjunction) in particular. The more I think about those themes, though, the more I realise the complexity of his treatment of them.
- Moist von Lipwig is an appealing central character, with a bit more personality than some of Pratchett's other 'once off' leads (Victor Tugelbend and Pteppic come to mind).
- And in the prickly, cynical, chain-smoking, very-attractive-in-a-severely-plain-dress Adora Belle Dearheart, the book contains probably my favourite female Pratchett character to date bar Susan (I like Granny Weatherwax as well, but in a different way).
- Has a few fairly cheap jokes - not sure if these types have always been in Discworld books or not...eg:
Moist shrugged. 'Oh, all right. Of course, I accept as natural born criminal, habitual liar, fraudster and totally untrustworthy perverted genius.'

'Capital! Welcome to government service!' said Lord Vetinari, extending his hand.
or Miss Dearheart's dry comment while looking over the stamps designed by Moist:
'Oh, the Tower of Art ... how like a man.'
Anyway, while I don't think that it'll become one of my favourite Discworld novels, Going Postal is a very solid entry in the series.