Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Machine Translations @ Union House Courtyard, Melbourne University, Tuesday 6 September

Tuesday lunchtime, some nice-sounding music drifted into Rowden White from outside, so I drifted out to have a look; not long after I got there, the band played "She Wears A Mask", so I knew that it was Machine Translations (it's the one song of theirs that I would've recognised). On the whole, they were janglier than I'd have expected, with a bit of what Lucy S called an 'earthier' element to their sound, too (she drifted along a few minutes after I arrived). I remember liking "She Wears A Mask" at the same time as I first got into "The Way We Get By", which must've been a couple of years ago at least, probably more, and listening to Machine Translations, I could actually hear a bit of Spoon in them. Anyhow, they seem like a good band, making good use of the sunshiney outdoor vibes and unfazed by the constant lunchtime hubbub in the background and the relatively few people actually paying attention to the set. Just another thing I'll miss about university...