Saturday, September 17, 2005

Luka Bloom - Before Sleep Comes

My introduction to Luka Bloom was his cover of U2's "Bad", which got played a bit on the radio a few years back (along with other tracks from his rather good album of covers of pop songs, Keeper of the Flame, which also included "Throw Your Arms Around Me", "No Surprises", "In Between Days" and "Dancing Queen"). Bloom's an Irish folk-singer type, basically voice + acoustic guitar, and I remember his version of "Bad" opened up the song for me in a way which had never happened before; having heard it, I went back to the original version and appreciated its greatness for the first time.

I don't know what the rest of Bloom's work is like (I get the impression that he's quite prolific), but Before Sleep Comes is gentle, wistful, and pretty. There's not a great deal to it - 30 minutes of softly undulating ballads, and in Bloom's own words, it's "a cd of non-performance", recorded over two nights - but what there is, is very nice.