Monday, July 04, 2005

Sophie B Hawkins (and a long-standing mystery solved)

From Ms Hawkins' official website:

* * *

Q

Hi Sophie,
I like your song "As I lay me down." I work in a bank and we listen to the radio all day long and hear your song alot. Me and the girls at work were listening one day, and this new girl started singing your song. And in the background music on one part the new girl thinks it says "I like tacos", but I think it is just music or humming. This has been a big controversies between us and I was wanted you to answer my question. So does it really say "I like tacos" in the background?? Sorry for the silly question.

Thank you,
Alicia
Tulsa, OK

A

--Dear Alicia, this is a sweet question. I love tacos, but that's not what I'm singing in the backround, it's "ooh la kah koh", which is an indigenous language of the Ballantine tribe. It means, "wash your feet before you sleep", which is good advice on any account. I hope you all keep enjoying the song, and check out my new album, "Wilderness", there are some cool backrounds on that album, too. Take Care, come see a show and you and your friends can sing the backrounds on stage! Bye, sophie.


* * *

Have idly been reading a bit about Hawkins, who I know solely through "As I Lay Me Down" and, before that, "Damn I Wish I Was Your Lover", both of which I remember from years back and have always rather liked in that ubiquitous radio song kind of way. Seems that there's rather more to her than just those two songs, though - have been halfway inspired to try to listen to a full album somewhere along the line.