Monday, July 11, 2005

M.I.A. & Diplo - Piracy Funds Terrorism, Vol. 1 and Diplo - Favela on Blast

The Piracy Funds Terrorism mix preceded the release of Arular but contains remixed versions of cuts from that album along with other sampled material; because I was never excited enough to track it down before I heard the album proper, I'm actually in the position of hearing the two recordings in the order in which they would, had the natural course of events obtained, have been made available to the masses. Perhaps that explains why I'm comparatively unexcited about Piracy Funds Terrorism - I've largely heard these rhymes and beats already, and in a more familiar (to me) and concentrated, if less fluent, setting (ie, the lp itself). The "Baile Funk" tracks backloading the mix are something a bit different, though.

Diplo's 30-minute Favela on Blast mix is, for me, far more interesting to listen to. Apparently 'favela' is the Brazilian term for shanty-towns, and the music here is based on a genre called 'baile funk' which emanates from Rio, and listening to it (Diplo is, from what I gather, a sort of cultural reappropriator, equipped with sample machine and usual tools of the trade), I can see that the influence is pretty strong on Arular, from the outright copping of the trumpets for use on "Bucky Done Gun" to the haranguing vocal style and heavy, straight-up beats. My favourite parts are the vocal which carries the first five minutes or so and the call-and-response at around the 15-minute mark, but it stays at a pretty high level all the way through.

Both of these are legitimately available here.