Wednesday, July 13, 2005

In The Cut

Really only rented this because Jennifer Jason Leigh had a supporting role in it - the prospect of watching Meg Ryan in a psychosexual thriller didn't particularly do it for me. And unfortunately In The Cut is, in a word, dull (though all of the actors are very good in it) - I was tempted to give up on the film at several points. As a thriller, it's frankly uninteresting, and while Campion seems to be trying to make some points about the psychology of desire, it's all too murky to unravel (if there was a point to the ice-skating flashbacks, I didn't pick it up). A while ago, Penny gave me a copy of To The Lighthouse, and possibly having made it more than about a third of the way through before giving up might have augmented my appreciation of this film (I do intend to have another go at that book one of these days)...