Sunday, March 03, 2019

Jenny Offill - Dept. of Speculation / two books I thought I'd like but abandoned

Just as marvellous as I thought it would be. While its form - a series of sometimes oblique, and obliquely connected, paragraphs with white space between them - is the first thing to strike the reader, followed closely by its wit and sharpness on a sentence level, what pulls you through is the account it gives of its narrator's marriage and the cataclysms it faces, with the associated unmooring of her mental state (the last of those plays out, among other ways, through the shifting point of view and perspective, from the intimate "I" and "you" through successively more distance of first "my husband" and later simply "the wife" and "the husband").

//

Recently abandoned, in both cases some 150 to 200 words in: My Year of Rest and Relaxation by Ottessa Moshfegh (I was quite sure I was going to like this one, including after reading the first twenty or so pages in a Barnes and Noble in Chicago a few months back, but couldn't get past the eventlessness and general anomie) and Killing Commendatore by Haruki Murakami (I got some momentum on this one but started feeling it was just spinning its wheels - I've read this novel by Murakami before).