Tuesday, November 13, 2018

MoMA, NYC

The art binge continues ... but in the interests of time, the notes here on extemporanea are going to be shorter from now on. Of course this was amazing - and in this case a return visit, some ten years on, though I won't pretend I clearly remember every piece I saw last time (and of course what's on display will have shuffled since).

Edward Hopper's "New York Movie" (1939) and Andrew Wyeth's "Christina's World" (1948) were in the first trio of paintings I saw when I started off, on the fifth floor (the other was a Horace Pippin).


Other collection highlights - Van Gogh (what is there to say ... such a sense of swirling motion), Cezanne, Matisse, Boccioni (not normally a particular favourite but this one was magnificent), Magritte, and many more.


Plus a Brancusi exhibition (always cool), a Bruce Nauman retrospective (I didn't engage too much with many individual pieces, instead letting it wash over me a bit, though the one - "Days", I think - in which you walk through a room installed with a dozen or a couple more speakers of people saying days of the week out of sequence was great), the usual mix of contemporary, so ho-hum, just generally great.