Sunday, November 18, 2018

Whitney Museum, NYC

The big attraction that's just opened at the Whitney - in a cool new(ish) building no less - is "Andy Warhol: From A to B and Back Again", so, not so exciting for me; I've dutifully seen plenty of Warhol over the years, not least the big exhibition at the NGV a couple of years ago (indeed, twice). Still, I took a quick turn through. (Also on were a Mary Corse survey and an exhibition exploring the relationship between programming and art; neither made an impression.)


But the main event for me was the smallish selection (maybe 80 or 90 pieces) from the permanent collection, organised under the theme "Where We Are" (1900 to 1960). My previous visit to the Whitney, in early '09, I called the part of its collection then on display "smallish but exquisitely selected" and it was the same again this time - a very high standard, several times punching through even the tidal wave of great art in which I've been immersed lately.

The star of the show was Edward Hopper's "A Woman in the Sun" (1961), a painting that for me has always been mostly about the light, and which I think of often. It was mesmerising. There were a bunch of other Hoppers on view too, most notably "Early Sunday Morning" (1930).


Also on offer, an outstanding O'Keeffe ("Music, Pink and Blue No. 2", 1918) and an equally outstanding Rothko ("Four Darks in Red", 1958), both of which were sharp reminders of why I love those artists in the first place.


Other highlights:

Thomas Hart Benson - "Poker Night (From A Streetcar Named Desire)" (1948)

Archibald Motley Jr - "Gettin' Religion" (1948)

Jasper Johns - "Three Flags" (1958)

Henry Koerner - "Mirror of Life" (1946)