Tuesday, May 21, 2013

"So Real: 15 tracks of the best new music" (Uncut cd)

The Buckley-referencing cd was one of the main reasons why I picked up Uncut rather than some other magazine in the airport on my way back from Sydney the other day, and happily, it's ace. There's no obvious theme or box into which these 15 songs can be put - no bad thing - beyond a certain alt-ish roots/folk tendency to a lot of them and some seriously great use of guitar.

Stand outs, some of which I'll definitely be chasing down more of:
  • Mikal Cronin - "I'm Done Running From You". Fuzzily pop-y indie-rock - good!
  • Sallie Ford & the Sound Outside - "Devil". Stompy modern rockabilly sounds.
  • The House of Love - "Holy River". Mellow, cruisy guitar-rock slider.
  • MV & EE - "Trailer Trash". I can't even describe this one. Good textures, really really good strung-out "Cortez the Killer"-style guitars.
  • Shovels & Rope - "Birmingham". A girl, a boy, and harmonies. Plus a groove and a twang. Yee-ha! This song makes me smile.
  • Evening Hymns - "You And Jake". Sad sad folk-pop.
  • Marnie Stern - "Noonan". Jittery, excitable indie, v interesting guitar vibe going on. Reminds me a bit of Laura Stevenson.