Friday, May 10, 2013

Throwing Muses - Throwing Muses (2003)

It's about trajectories. Throwing Muses had their heyday (late 80s/early 90s) well before I ever heard of them some time in the early 2000s, whereupon I intensely felt their music for a while (specifically, The Real Ramona) and then didn't really follow on - being drawn more in the Belly / Tanya Donelly direction - and so paid no attention when this one, their second self-titled, came out after, in 2003.

And now, a decade on, it came into my hands and turns out to be not too bad at all, though it took me a few listens to get my ear back in for Hersh's zigzaggy, stop-start, somewhat abrasive songwriting style. For mine, it's unusual for a pop (using that term loosely) album in that it's quite backloaded - most of my favourites are in its second half..."Speed and Sleep", "Solardip" and closing pair "Half Blast" and "Flying", all jaggedly guitary.