Sunday, February 27, 2011

Robyn - Body Talk lp

Context can make all the difference. This record collects songs from the two 'Body Talk' eps and adds some new ones; when I listened to the first of those eps last year, my main response was disappointment, and yet most of the songs have made their way on to this lp, where they (mostly) sound suddenly fresh and exciting, just like her last full-length. It goes one-two-three - "Fembot" opening and serving as mission statement, "Don't Fucking Tell Me What To Do" buzzing and building, and then "Dancing on My Own", whose greatness I somehow completely missed on the first pass. And then a run of five more of equal quality - "Time Machine" is probably my favourite of those - before the rest, which is a bit more hit and miss but still good. My faith is restored!