Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Taylor Swift - Red (Taylor's Version)

When it comes to Taylor Swift, Red is the big one for me. This re-recording is overall a bit more organic sounding - which means a touch less shimmer and production, which takes the tiniest bit of sparkle from tracks like "State of Grace" and "Red" (though of course I'm biased towards the versions I've come to know so well) but gives a subtly new, more grounded dimension to others like "I Knew You Were Trouble", 'We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together" and "Holy Ground". Also interesting hearing the changes in Swift's voice in the nine years since its original release.

Also included is a generous selection of Red-era songs which I'm not enough of a completist to spend a lot of time with, but I enjoyed "Better Man" (an original not a Pearl Jam cover) and the 10 minute version of "All Too Well" (although I think the more concise original cut does a better job in conveying the song's drama, with its clearer and more conventional builds and peaks).