Thursday, June 18, 2020

50 Contemporary Photographers You Should Know by Florian Heine and Brad Finger

Including:

My personal big three: Eggleston, Gursky,[*] Crewdson.

Others who I've liked when I've encountered them but not engaged so deeply with: Candida HoferJeff WallHiroshi SugimotoCindy Sherman (by whom I'm increasingly intrigued), Thomas StruthThomas RuffRineke DijkstraRichard Mosse.

Anton Corbijn, who occupies a different space in my awareness thanks to his various iconic pop music portraits, including Control.

Two very big names who I've never focused on, for different reasons: Annie Leibovitz and Nan Goldin.

And others either only glancingly or not at all familiar to me. Genres well represented in this category: portraits, fashion, nature, street.

Candida Hofer - "Deichmanske Bibliothek Oslo II", 2000

Tina Barney - "Mr and Mrs Leo Castelli", 1998

Hiroshi Sugimoto - "Ligurian Sea, Saviore", 1993 (Italy)

Sally Mann - "Virginia at 9", 1994

Cindy Sherman - "Untitled Film Still #21", 1978

Rinko Kawauchi - Untitled (from "Illuminance"), 2009

[*] Link is to first, more ambivalent encounter.