Saturday, August 17, 2019

Children of the Sea

There's definitely something about anime - I'm always very conscious of the form when I watch it, and I seem disproportionately likely to have some kind of strong associations running through my mind (at the time or after) when I do.

This one was fairly lovely, the relatively detailed and naturalistic drawing of the urban scenes throwing the fluidity and sense of wonder of the aquatic and oceanic ones into sharper relief - although the animation wasn't quite up to the task of some of the galactic stuff near the end (some of which reminded me of Hilma af Klint, which is admittedly something). I liked the sense of mystery, the uncertainty about what was really happening, and the way it combined the personal and intimate with the ultimately cosmic.

(w/ trang - and looking to be my solitary MIFF visit this year)