Saturday, May 04, 2019

"Darren Sylvester: Carve a Future, Devour Everything, Become Something" & "Rosslynd Piggott: I Sense You But I Cannot See You" (NGVA)


I can't remember the last exhibition I visited that was as sheerly pleasurable as Darren Sylvester's (maybe the Del Kathryn Barton which was installed in the same space if I remember right), spanning photography, various forms of installation and sculpture, video, and music (the latter, stronger on texture and mood than melody but very strong on those indeed, echoing throughout the gallery and setting the tone for the visual pieces).

"Broken Model" (2016) 

"Listen to me" (2012) 

"IKEA sunrise" (2018)

"Our future was ours" (2005)

Also, "You should let go of a dying relationship" (2006), Sylvester's recreation and syncing of the music videos for "Heroes" and "Wuthering Heights", marvellous.


And it was two from two for today's NGVA visit, with Rosslynd Piggott's large retrospective also resonating. Hers seems the kind of body of work that offers many keys to its own understanding, but for me, one was certainly the appearance in her "100 glasses" (1991-92) piece, which is what it sounds like, of "Marcel" and "Virginia" side by side, as in Proust and Woolf, as in the quintessential modernist explorers of subjective consciousness and experience.

"Nature morte - eggs" & "Nature morte - eggs 2" (1990-91)

Throughout her four-decade spanning work: glasses, water, blues, dreamy mistiness - although my favourites seem to cluster from the late 80s through to mid 90s.

"Italy" (1988)

"Upside-down landscape" (1989), like a sprightly little Tanguy escapee

"Pour slowly into me" (1996)