Thursday, February 14, 2019

Three playlists

At the end of last year I distributed my usual end-of-year mix (for 2018) as a spotify playlist, and I've received three playlists in return, at least two - I'm not sure about the third - in similar vein as soundtracks of the previous year.

David's is the most familiar, in terms of artists and sounds, though taught me what a lot of acts whose names I've seen in dispatches actually sound like, of which my favourites are Jay Som ("Pirouette") and Frankie Cosmos ("Young"). Also, now I now what Weezer's cover of "Africa" is like, though I could've exactly guessed without hearing it, as it turns out.

Rob's skews largely towards Australian and independentish pop, and of ten songs, the only artist I'd even heard of before was Amy Shark ("All Loved Up" turns out to be pretty nice). Favourites: the rootsy burst of joy of "Don't Be Hiding" by Middle Kids and the catchy "Groceries" by Mallrat. All very listenable.

Julian's - in which he spared me "most but not all of the abrasive" - ranges widely as usual across prog, folk, power-pop, ambientish, glum singer-songwriter and dissonant pop from decades past. Of the ones I most like, two are from closest to my genre wheelhouses in Sam Hunt, David Kilgour and the Heavy Eight's "Maintrunk Country Road Song" and Tommy Keene's "Underworld"; there's also Paul Buchanan's gentle "Mid Air" and The Body's sinister, screamily industrial "Nothing Stirs".