Friday, November 24, 2017

Thor: Ragnarok

I've definitely seen at least two Thor movies, counting The Avengers, and I thought I'd seen another but maybe that's just the trailer I was thinking of. Anyway, I saw the trailer for this one a while back and it made it look terrific, and it is.

Chris Hemsworth is a genial, likeable main character and basically everyone else who shows up here is a gift; Cate Blanchett, Jeff Goldblum, Tom Hiddleston and Mark Ruffalo are a formidable roll-call of especially enjoyable actors, plus Karl Urban (always good at looking handsome and conflicted), Idris Elba (for the usual maximal charisma), Anthony Hopkins (lending proceedings both camp and gravitas), various NZ accents and one face I recognised from Hunt for the Wilderpeople, and it also has up its sleeve an attention-grabbing turn from an actor I didn't know, Tessa Thompson, and a cameo from Benedict Cumberbatch, who's never unwelcome.

Put them all in a script that's smart, funny and energetic, and directed with an undistracting pizazz and there you go.