Thursday, November 23, 2017

Courtney Barnett & Kurt Vile - Lotta Sea Lice

Hard to know how much it's the local connection, but it's been hard to avoid hearing about this one, not least, until recently, via the large billboard on the corner near me that I walk past every day during the periods when I'm walking into town every day (before it: Sleep Well Beast). But what made me buy it was hearing it in the Grace Darling the other day; the guy at the next table from me thought it was Lucinda Williams, specifically on their excellent cover of the still-excellent-in-its-own-right "Fear Is Like A Forest" ((1) Hidden Hands is still my favourite of Cloher's albums; (2) I only learned this year that Cloher and Barnett are partners), and it sure didn't hurt either that they end with a take on the great Belly song "Untogether" - and by the way, how did I never notice before that the opening lyrics of that latter are "I was friendly with this girl who insisted on touching my face"? Anyway, much conversationally melodic tunesing and electric guitar goodness - a nice collab.

Also: it's a record by Courtney and Kurt ... and doesn't sound a million miles away from the 90s in other ways either.