Saturday, June 03, 2017

"Every Brilliant Eye: Australian Art of the 1990s" (NGV Australia)

An array, with lots to like. Mostly drawn from the NGV's collection so many were familiar (but still interesting re-presented in this context) and plenty more were new; examples of the former included three of Leah King-Smith's untitleds, one of Bill Henson's cut-ups, Constanze Zikos's "Fake flag", Kathy Temin's "Duck-rabbit problem" and Ricky Swallow's "Model for a sunken monument" (the large melting Darth Vader head). I also felt like I'd maybe seen Susan Norrie's excellent dark-toned installation "Inquisition" before, and likewise A Constructed World's "Player guitar", both forcefully direct but also enjoyably evasive. In addition, I've seen at least a reproduction of one of the pieces from Kristin Headlam's "O rose" series before (as in Blake):


I also liked: Mikala Dwyer's "I.O.U."; Annette Bezor's feminist "No"; and the two glossy Patricia Piccinini photos (I think the first things of hers I've seen other than her memorable cute-disturbing animal-human sculptures).