Thursday, May 18, 2017

Haley Bonar - Last War

After some thought on the subject 
I've decided I've kind of lost it 

On this one, it's the low-key slink of "Bad Reputation" that most grabs me, Bonar's sometimes odd, and also oddly alluring, delivery the vessel coursing on the humming layers of rhythm guitar and thudding drums from which little details leap up from time to time; there's a straight line between it and the later "I Can Change" (from 2016's Impossible Dream, which turned out to be my favourite album of last year).

I have dreams about the end of the story
There's no explosion, there's never any holy glory
Just a bunch of people lost and sleeping
Trying to find someone


But "Bad Reputation" is far from the only memorable song on this 2014 set - there's plenty of starry, alt-ish indie of various kinds, now more driving in tempo, now more of a gentle astral drift, here ascending on little synth lines, there working more of a JAMC-style jagged pop wall of sound, and all strikingly melodic, without which none of this would matter. v.g.

We've lost a little bit but we're gonna go find it