Wednesday, April 26, 2017

"Patrick Pound: The Great Exhibition" (NGV Australia) / Nolan

The exhibition started inauspiciously for me - a darkened room lined with two glass cabinets each containing a series of found black and white photographs, one after another into monotony. I'd seen this all before, or that's how it felt.

But as I moved further into the show, it opened up for me and I ended up enjoying Pound's collections a great deal, especially the more or less central room in which works from the NGV's collection - some familiar, others not, and all, as the exhibition notes suggest, standing in as representations of things absent - and found images are organised around the walls with more objects installed in the middle of the room, associations and meanings generating as I went.

Also, it was just a few months ago that I first came across Pound at ACCA.

***

Also, wandering after, saw that Nolan's complete series of paintings and drawings from Wimmera in the early 1940s were on display. They are terrific.