Monday, March 13, 2017

"Philippe Parreno: Thenabouts" (ACMI)

A return visit. This time, it was:
  • La Nuit des Heros (which I didn't feel bad about finding largely incomprehensible once I looked it up, after the fact, to discover that it was a comedy about an art historian who "has removed himself from society to write the history of modern art, and amuses himself by making important figures from modernism, from Cézanne to Yves Klein, speak with the voices of French celebrities such as Jean-Paul Belmondo or Françoise Sagan"; in the meantime, his neighbour, who he thinks is an angel, films people asking them whether they believe in images)
  • Boy From Mars (of which I'd seen the first, two and half minute establishing shot of the lit-from-within purpose building last time, but not - I don't think - the water buffalo generating the electricity for the illumination or the other images of flaring light and darkness)
  • C.H.Z. (continuously habitable zones - black vegetation in imagined landscapes)
  • Crowd (only the first bit, and then I had to rush off - so I didn't get to see the effects of the full hypnotism)