Sunday, August 21, 2016

Haley Bonar - Impossible Dream

It's the guitars, foreshadowed earlier with the briefest handful of notes, rising at 2:18 for all the world like a latter-day echo or escapee from that late 80s to early 90s period that for me largely defines the Cure despite the breadth and extensive greatness of much else they did (Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me through to Wish), that make "I Can Change", emerging as if from the seabed to take over from the throbs and thuds, scuttles and swooshes, that have underlaid Bonar's lorn singing till then.
How did you write/record "I Can Change"? What's it about?
I wrote it one night in my room while all of my windows were open and the wind was blowing around wildly outside. I felt sort of creeped out, in a good way, and conjured the song from the way I was feeling. I felt like a witch, and the words swirled around me and I found the chords and that was that.
And those same guitars emerge elsewhere, sometimes with a windswept feel and in other places with a sharper indie-rock/pop edge that's equally satisfying ("Kismet Kill" is the most enjoyable of the latter type); there's a shimmer to a lot of it which is most clearly expressed in over-the-horizon moments like the drive of "Stupid Face" and mid-tempo "Skynz" (neither of them a million miles away from Metric at that point when they hit their sweet spot a few years back). And then there's "Blue Diamonds Fall", which reminds me of Roy Orbison and "Wicked Games". If all of that makes Impossible Dream sound like a patchwork of others' sounds and associations - well, maybe. But it's terrifically good listening anyway.