Wednesday, November 11, 2015

"Lurid Beauty: Australian Surrealism and its Echoes" (NGV)

A fine exhibition, taking a broad perspective on its subject, from an enjoyable selection across the 30s and 40s (James Gleeson,[*] Eric Thake, Peter Purves Smith, Russell Drysdale, Roy de Maistre, Robert Klippel) through to some thoroughly contemporary pieces - in many cases much more in the vein of 'echoes' of surrealism than being 'actually' surrealist through and through.

[*] As an aside, Gleeson is one of the first artists whose work I can remember striking me - I don't remember which painting it was, but it was probably in the NGV's permanent collection and years ago, long before I'd come across surrealism as an idea or movement or indeed discovered any particular interest in art within myself.