Tuesday, July 28, 2015

"Death and the Maiden" (Ariel Dorfman - MTC)

Three hander set in unnamed post-fascist South American country in which woman encounters and imprisons man who she believes from his voice to be a doctor who tortured and raped her years earlier, with her human rights lawyer husband/partner (just appointed to a presidential truth and reconciliation-style commission) also caught up. Powerful premise and, I suspect, a very good play as written, but the performances and set didn't bring it to life for me.

* * *

As an aside: "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me" - one of those songs that's always been there - came on as I was walking down St Kilda Road afterwards, and unexpectedly pierced in the way music sometimes does ... for a few minutes there I felt somehow more clearly myself than in a long time.