Wednesday, November 19, 2014

John Green - The Fault in Our Stars

Had this one for a while - been saving it...I'd avoided specific spoilers but pretty much assumed that someone was gonna die and it didn't take too long to figure out who that was going to be. So, well, it's good and reads remarkably like something that could actually have been written by someone aged 16 (albeit a particularly intelligent and articulate 16) - it's a bit affected and clunky in places, but that makes it feel more real. The cancer, the emotion, the argot, the asking of big questions, the True Love - all ring true. Given the reputation that this one has, I'd kind of been assuming that it would leave me basically devastated, at least immediately after finishing it, but for whatever reason it didn't have that effect; still, it was worth the time it took to read (and probably I didn't immerse myself in it as fully as I might have).