Sunday, March 09, 2014

Melbourne Now once more

This time with Kai, in town from Perth. We were in the NGV International, and the ones I liked were pretty much those that I enjoyed last time (somewhat surprisingly, the room that blares sound and lights when activated by motion doesn't get old - Marco Fusinato’s Aetheric Plexus (Broken X)).

Also came across a section that I missed last time, including the 'Zoom' project which included cards that we could take away with ideas about how to maintain Melbourne's liveability - the three that I chose read "If all roads lead to Melbourne, start from the beginning" (probably the most poetic of the offerings), "Communities work alongside government to plan and program public places" and "Allow citizens direct access to decision making forums" (the latter two having more of a work flavour, I guess) - it was striking how consistent, and mutually aligned, most of the ideas were.

More generally, just another reminder of how wonderful it is to have a good public art gallery so easily accessible, open to all - and how important the NGV in particular has been, and continues to be, to me.

(NGVA - not visited this time)