Sunday, March 02, 2014

Damon Young - How to Think About Exercise

An enjoyable little book, which I've read - twice through, in fact - as part of my current focus on improving my lifestyle, energy levels and all-round wellbeing, part of which has involved both doing and thinking about exercise a fair bit more than any time recently prior to this burst.

Organised into short chapters dealing with various values and potentially valuable elements associated with exercise (reverie, pride, sacrifice, beauty, humility, pain, consistency, the sublime, oneness) and drawing on a range of philosophical, cultural-theory, literary and other perspectives, it emphasises the benefits that can come from a holistic, integrated approach to body and mind, physical activity and thought - very much in line with what triggered my own current reorientation towards exercise, while also providing me with some good new ways of looking at and making the most of it.