Sunday, February 02, 2014

Doctor Who Symphonic Spectacular

One out of leftfield for me, but when Nicolette texted the day before and said she had a spare ticket, I thought that, given that I was free, in the spirit of openness I ought to go along. Huge auditorium ('the Plenary') in the Convention Centre, MSO playing music from Doctor Who, accompanied by big screen scene montages, sometimes with dressed-up monsters (turns out there are lots beyond the Daleks) roaming the aisles. Emphasis on the last couple - David Tennant and Matt Smith - which meant that I at least knew what they looked like and recognised a couple of the 'companions' (Billie Piper caused an audible collective sigh from the audience when her image came up), and hosted by the fifth doctor, Peter Davison.

Everything I know about Doctor Who I know from pop culture, never having watched an episode all the way through, but the music was pretty good - cinematic - and the accompanying montages seemed to hit some big emotional and other arcs from the recent series, and together they actually did make me feel that I could understand why so many people have such a fondness for the show - it was fun and a good Friday night activity...and now Peter Capaldi's casting might even tempt me to start watching.